DEVELOPING MY STYLE. Baxter Grist Mill, West Yarmouth

Here I wanted to write a few words about my "style" which I think I am falling into.  I tend to enjoy taking shots which are full of detail and micro detail.  Ones which you can get lost in by looking around at all the details instead of just looking at the "bigger picture".  On my way home from work today I stopped at a Grist Mill which I have driven past 1000's of times before without even thinking of taking a closer look.  Tonight however I stopped and as I always carry my trusty Canon Point and shoot and tripod in my car I thought I would do a couple of quick shots.  I wanted to give you an idea of what I try to "capture" at a scene like this.  The top image is the one that I used to take.  It's a fairly nice shot.  One I would normally have been happy with. However, it lacks tone and definition simply because my camera is unable to pick up all of the details/colors/contrast in a single shot.  Look how over-exposed the wall and water is on the bottom right of the image and how the grass on the left is very "flat"  The bottom image is where I am at right now on my journey.  Taken from a low vantage point (I was on my belly getting wet!) and after a total of five different exposures it came out so much more vibrant and packed with the details I was looking for.  The wall, the grass, the water.  Zoom into both shots to see the difference.  So yes, I think my style is developing nicely.....















And here is another angle.  This time looking down from the top of the slew.



0 comments:

Return top